10 top tips for avoiding debt
The Citizen's Advice Bureau is urging people to avoid starting 2010 with a Christmas debt hangover, and has published a 'top tips' leaflet on how to avoid this.
The leaflet suggests:
1. Plan early for Christmas and budget accordingly
2. Don't forget everyday bills and pay them on time
3. Don't rely on an overdraft
4. Pay outright if possible to avoid credit card debt
5. Shop around for the best prices
6. Avoid buying from unauthorised traders
7. Do your own credit checks on card interest rates
8. Always read the small print on credit card terms
9. Be organised and repay outstanding debts on time
10.Start planning and saving for next Christmas.